Sunday, June 12, 2011

NYC

As I found myself with a free Saturday while in DC, I decided perhaps New York City is where I should spend my time! The only time I had been to NYC was a day during my 8th grade trip. I had a great time then, and couldn’t see why I wouldn’t take this sweet opportunity to enjoy it now.  So I bought a bus ticket, and took a four hour bus ride to the big city! With the help of my great friend, Jennifer, I had my entire day planned.
High Line Park
I got there around noon and was dropped off at the New Yorker. Then I made my way to the High Line. The High Line is a park elevated on a 1930’s freight rail structure. The High line delivered meat, produce, and milk to the port on the west side, but the last train ran in 1980. And now it is a beautiful park! From there, I went to the Gansevoort Hotel to view the city. I went to the top of this fancy place where some sort of cocktail party was happening and took some pictures of the city.
View from Gansevoort
As I walked through the city, I realized just how big New York City is! I mean I grew up close to San Diego, went to college in the biggest city in Utah (Salt Lake City), and worked in Washington DC the last three summers, but New York City is real big! I felt pretty small in this giant bustling city.
Union Square was my next stop! I grabbed a smoothie, walked around some of the shops, and enjoyed a stroll through a fabulous farmers market! It was great to see a community come out on a beautiful Saturday and enjoy some sun, music, and fresh produce.
Union Square farmer's market

I walked up Broadway where people are scattered everywhere. There are cute tables and chairs in the middle of the streets where so many people enjoy a meal. I walked past the Flatiron building and then through Madison Square Park.
Flatiron Building
At this point I notice I’m starving, so I head to Times Square. I sat on the steps, eating my chicken and steak kabobs (bought from a street vendor), and stared in awe. As a marketing major, this was one of my favorite parts. It’s overwhelming how many brands are flashed before your eyes.

Delicious!
I made a quick stop at Radio City and Rockefeller Plaza. There was a great Saturday market going on so I may have bought a couple scarves and such! Then I walked down 5th Avenue and window shopped. Why? I’m not rich, not appropriately dressed, and I was on a mission.
Then I went to the Plaza! I even went inside! It was gorgeous and the people were so nice. I took myself on a little tour of the place. They have a fancy hat shop that I loved! I also went to the Eloise store just to get the book…and of course they didn’t have it! So I ask politely, some strings were pulled, and I walked away with a signed copy of the book form the artist! As well as a free notepad! I love my life.
The Plaza
My last stop was Central Park-so beautiful and so big. I could spend a whole day there, which I really think I might do next time!
Well there’s my NYC story. Sorry for the lengthiness, but I hope you enjoyed it. I certainly did!

1 comment:

  1. I'm SO jealous!! Sounds like you had a blast! Can we take a NYC trip together please?!

    ReplyDelete